Nelson Peltz, the billionaire investor who has shaped Wendy's direction for two decades, is assembling a consortium to buy the Dublin-headquartered burger chain and take it private, according to Reuters, which cited a source familiar with the matter.
A formal bid from Peltz's Trian Fund Management could come within weeks, the source said. No offer had been submitted as of Aug. 15.
The report, first published by the Financial Times on Aug. 12, drove Wendy's stock up more than 14% in a single session. Trading was temporarily halted on the Nasdaq for volatility. The company's market value sits at roughly $1.44 billion.
Trian is reportedly working with Abu Dhabi-based BlueFive Capital and Flynn Group, the world's largest franchise operator, which runs more than 300 Wendy's locations across eight states. Together, Peltz personally and Trian already control more than 24% of Wendy's shares, according to a February 2026 SEC filing.
Wendy's said in a statement Aug. 12 that its board would review any proposal from Trian consistent with its fiduciary duties and that CEO Bob Wright has identified strategic priorities to turn around the business.
What it means for Dublin
Wendy's corporate headquarters sits at One Dave Thomas Boulevard, where the company employs a portion of its roughly 14,958 worldwide workers, according to workforce data firm Revelio Labs. The Dublin campus headcount is not publicly broken out.
A take-private deal would not necessarily trigger layoffs or a headquarters move, but it would shift decision-making from public shareholders to a private ownership group. Peltz first acquired a Wendy's stake in 2005, spent 17 years on the board and was named chairman emeritus in 2024. His son Bradley and Trian executive Peter May still hold board seats.
Buyout bid follows steep decline
The potential deal arrives as Wendy's struggles through its worst stretch in years. As we reported Aug. 7, the chain posted a 7% drop in U.S. same-store sales for the second quarter, cut its dividend in half to $0.07 per share and withdrew its full-year 2026 financial outlook.
Customer traffic fell 12.5% in the quarter. The company has closed 289 U.S. locations in the first half of 2026, according to Yahoo Finance. Burger King has overtaken Wendy's as the No. 2 U.S. burger chain by systemwide sales, according to CNBC.
"Wendy's has lost share within the quick service restaurants hamburger category for 17 straight months, with both transactions and frequency under continued pressure," Consumer Edge analyst Michael Gunther said in commentary cited by Reuters on Aug. 12.
Peltz explored a Wendy's takeover in 2022 but walked away. In February 2026, Trian disclosed in an SEC filing, as Reuters reported, that it considered the stock "undervalued" and had been reaching out to potential co-investors about strategic options including a go-private transaction.
What happens next
If Trian submits a formal offer, Wendy's independent directors would decide whether to negotiate directly with Peltz's group or open a broader auction. The company has not announced a timeline for any response.




